THE ARCHDIOCESE OF MWANZA
The Vicariate of Nyanza which was under Bp. Leon Livinhac (Missionaries of Africa) since 1884, comprised the all area around Lake Victoria (Buganda, Bukoba, Mwanza, Eastern Rwanda, Musoma and western Kenya).
From 1890 to 1894, Bishop John Joseph Hirth ministered to the Vicariate. Then the vast Vicariate was divided into Nyanza North (Buganda) and Nyanza South (Bukoba, Eastern Rwanda, Mwanza and Musoma). Bp. John Joseph Hirth became the first Vicar of Nyanza South until 1912. Then Eastern Rwanda which was part of South Nyanza) became part of Kivu Vicariate with Bp. John Joseph Hirth as its first Apostolic Vicar. Under Bp. Joseph Sweens since 1912 the old name Nyanza Vicariate was used again because Nyanza North was now named Rubaga and Buganda.
The division which was effected in 1894 should not be dismissed, because it laid the ground to the Vicariate of the British Uganda and to the Vicariate in the Southern part of the lake, the latter being part of the then German East Africa, what is now the Metropolitan area of Mwanza.
On the 10th April, 1929, Nyanza vicariate was divided into Bukoba vicariate and Mwanza vicariate. Bp. Anthony Oomen ministered to the Mwanza vicariate until 1948. In 1949, Bp. Joseph Blomjous was appointed to minister to the vicariate and later on, from the 25th March, 1953, the diocese of Mwanza. From 1966, Bishop Renatus Butibubage was Ordinary of the diocese of Mwanza until he retired in 1987.
On 18th November, 1987, Mwanza became a Metropolitan See then with Suffragan Dioceses: Bukoba, Shinyanga, Musoma, Geita and Rulenge. His Grace Anthony Mayala was installed as the first Archbishop on the 28/02/1988. Before that, he had served as Bishop of Musoma since 1979. His Grace Anthony Mayala ministered to the Archdiocese of Mwanza until his death on 19th August, 2009.
On the 10th November, 2010 saw the appointment of His Grace Jude Thaddaeus Ruwa’ichi,OFMCap as Archbishop of Mwanza. He was installed Archbishop of Mwanza on 9th January, 2011.
On the 27th November, 2010, Ukerewe Island (comprising six parishes and one quasi parish) was dismembered from the Archdiocese of Mwanza to form part of the newly created Diocese of Bunda.
Before the creation of the Diocese of Bunda, the Archdiocese of Mwanza covers an area of 19’592 square kilometers comprising Ilemela, Magu, Nyamagana, Kwimba, Misungwi and Ukerewe Districts. It consist of 34 parishes.
After the dismembering of Ukerewe Island, from Mwanza, the Archdiocese of Mwanza now covers an area of 19’062 square kilometers, comprising 5 districts, 5 deaneries (Nyamagana, Ilemela, Misungwi, Kwimba and Magu) and 33 parishes.
Today the Metropolitan province consists of the following Suffragan dioceses: Shinyanga, Musoma, Bukoba, Geita, Rulenge-Ngara, Kayanga and Bunda.
POPE FRANCIS whose baptismal name is Jorge Mario Bergoglio was born on 27th December, 1936, in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
He was ordained a Priest on 13th December, 1969. Appointed Auxiliary Bishop on 20th May, 1992. He was Consecrated a Bishop on 27th June, 1992. Moreover, he was appointed Coadjutor Archbishop of Buenos Aires on 3rd June, 1997, installed Archbishop of Buenos Aires on 28th February, 1998.
He was created a Cardinal on 21st February, 2001. He was elected Pope on 13th March, 2013.
MWANZA ARCHDIOCESE DEANERY
- ILEMELA DEANERY
- KWIMBA DEANERY
- MAGU DEANERY
- MISUNGWI DEANERY
- NYAMAGANA DEANERY
- UCHAMBUZI WA KATIBA INAYOPENDEZWA